About Me

My photo
CODA, A Mother, A Wife, A Teacher, A Bookworm, An OutDoors Person, An Artist, An Info. Junkie...

Wednesday, 31 August 2016

The Hands Free Revolution
I just want to hear you laugh.
I don’t care so much about perfect pitch. 
I just want to see you smile.
I don’t care so much about golden trophies that shine.
I just want to give you a soft place to land.
I don’t care so much about what place you come in.
I just want you to be comfortable in your skin.
I don’t care so much about the blemish on your nose or the size of your jeans. 
I just want to love you “as is.”
I don’t care so much about what the world expects you to be. 
But sometimes I get off track. I let society tell me that achievements, awards, perfection, and outer beauty are what matter most. 
But those things are very, very far from what matters most to me. Your heart, your spirit, your spunk, and your light are what matter to me. 
So today, as your #1 fan, I will be listening and watching.
I just want to hear you laugh. I just want to see you smile. 
I just want to celebrate you as you are,
Instead of waiting for you to become what the world expects you to be. 
© Rachel Macy Stafford 2014
Friends, I had the opportunity to spend the day with a woman who understands our children’s need to be loved “as is” … to be known and accepted for who they are. Her name is Kerry Foreman, and she is a psychotherapist and mindfulness teacher. As Kerry and I walked and talked, I commented on the overwhelming response to her viral article, “No, My Son Doesn’t Play Sports … Really, It’s Ok!” Among the hundreds of private messages Kerry received, one was from a 12-year-old boy thanking her. At last, he felt understood. He hoped his parents might read it and understand too. Like that article, Kerry has written a series of powerful reflections that are quite different from what you might ordinarily see in your newsfeed. I believe Kerry is a voice for young people who want to be “seen” and “celebrated” as they are, not what the world expects them to be. Perhaps one of these enlightening articles by Kerry will speak for someone you love today. Join Kerry on her page Get Grounded. Thank you for being part of The Hands Free Revolution
• “No, My Son Doesn’t Play Sports … Really, It’s Ok!” ⇒ http://www.huffingtonpost.com/…/no-my-son-doesnt-play-sport…
• “Start With the Heart: Dealing With Our Kids’ Negative Feelings” ⇒ http://www.huffingtonpost.com/…/start-with-the-heart-resp_b…
• “To College or Not to College: The Journey of Fear” ⇒ http://www.huffingtonpost.com/…/to-college-or-not-to-coll_b…

No comments:

Post a Comment